Making the Best of A Maui Vacation With Kids
This post contains affiliate links, and if you use my links to make a purchase, I
may receive compensation.
Growing up on Maui was absolutely incredible. But I now appreciate it more than ever before because I now live in California. So when my family and I go back to visit we play tourist and do as many activities as we can, because I never got to do those things, we just went to the beach and surfed. Here is a list I put together for you of the top 8 things to do in Maui with kids! Enjoy!
- It is known as “The Aquarium of Hawaii” The Maui Ocean Center. Experience Hawaii’s unique marine environment and encounter Hawaii’s sea life, many of them are found nowhere else in the world. I remember as a little girl when this place first opened up, and it was such a treat to be able to go. It was as if Maui just opened up a new theme park. They offer daily presentations of Tide Pools, The Open Ocean and Sea Turtles, to name a few. This experience will inspire you and the whole family.
- Learn to surf with Maui Waveriders. This surf school is extra special because my family is very close to the owners of this family owned company. I had the privilege to work for them as a surf instructor throughout high school. They even guarantee you will stand up! They offer group and private surf lessons as well as a surfboard and paddleboard rentals. They have two locations that are very convenient in Lahaina and Kihei.
- Check out the World Famous Ululani’s Shave Ice. They don’t serve you’re typical, run of the mill snow cone having won multiple awards for their shaved ice. Having various toppings anywhere from Mochi that is made fresh, or the option to get ice cream on the bottom, the possibilities are endless!
- Another family-owned company that I had the pleasure to know while growing up on Maui is Sail Trilogy. Experience the majestic whales on a whale watch anywhere from Dec 15-Apr 15. With on-board Whale Naturalists, you will be filled with knowledge about these beautiful creatures. Lunch is also included on these tours. The tour usually lasts about two hours.
- Snorkeling Molokini Crater is a must. This was our favorite snorkel experience while growing up. You will experience two snorkel locations, Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. Molokini has fish of all different species and colors; it is magical! Turtle Town is filled with Hawaiian Sea Turtles. Provided are all the equipment and instruction. Sail Trilogy is named the #1 sailing company on Maui for the last 42 years.
- Maui Escape Rooms has four different experiences. This will bring unique challenges, teamwork, and fun for the whole family. Escape rooms are becoming more and more popular all over the globe. Solve different puzzles and riddles using clues, hints, and strategy. What better way to bond and build some teamwork than in Maui? It lasts about an hour and children under 14 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- In the Upcountry of Maui is The Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm. There are about 55,000 Lavender plants and 45 different varieties of Lavender. I love visiting the Lavender Farm because it is 4,000 feet above sea level and besides the Lavender, these views cannot compare to any others that I have seen. They offer walking tours, cart tours, and picnic lunches.
- Go to the beach, some of my favorite childhood memories are at some of the most beautiful beaches on Maui. A few kid-friendly beaches that I recommend are the tidepools at Mamas Fish House. In Kihei/Wailea I recommend Kam 1,2 or 3. On the west side of Maui, I will recommend Baby beach or Napili Bay.
Bonus Tip: If You would like to have a date night or date day, I recommend The Nanny Connection. I worked for the longest-serving nanny service on Maui for two years when I lived there. They are amazing! All nannies are background checked, and First Aid and CPR certified.
I hope this list will enhance your stay on Maui or for a future family trip!